I have a quick and yummy recipe for your holiday baking list!
I must tell you guys that I love gingerbread cookies! However, I dislike how hard and crunchy they can be most of the time. I was looking for a simple cookie to give me that signature spicy winter taste I had been craving.
I have seen a lot of pinterest post about “cake cookies” floating around. My first thought was… Wait, what!?! You can make cookies from cake mix? Yes folk’s, you can and they are LEGIT! SO EASY AND SO GOOD! While browsing all these delicious recipes I decided I needed to try them out! A.S.A.P.
Although I found many good add in’s and mixtures of this “cake cookie” I wondered just one thing. Hmmm, what happens if you just use spice cake mix? Will it taste like a soft gingerbread cookie?
Well, after making them I think it is safe to say that they were a success and very gingerbready…
I know, I know, gingerbready is not a word but it makes sense to me!
They hit me right it the craving. umm… what?
I’ll stop. I promise! haha.
Here are the details!
SPICE CAKE COOKIE RECIPE:
- 1 box spice cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
LET’S DO THIS:
- Start by setting your oven to 350 degrees. Then gather all ingredients.
- Grab a large bowl and mix everything together. The cake mix, eggs, oil, and cinnamon.
- Let your batter rest for a few moments to thicken.
- You can either drop the cookies onto the baking sheets with a spoon or pinch and roll into balls. ( It should be thick enough to do so) I personally enjoyed the pinch and roll method, because I could control the look and thickness of them.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Watch for slight browning on the edges and the tops will begin to crack. They should be soft in the middle. Not gooey.
- While the cookies are baking… mix powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. The glaze should be runny.
- After taking the cookies out… place them on a cooling rack with a baking sheet or foil underneath. parchment paper works too!
- Pour spoonfuls of glaze on the cookies. They don’t have to be perfect!
- Sprinkle with extra powdered sugar.
I absolutely love that you can make cookies from cake mix! Talk about a life saver! Due to them being so quick and inexpensive they are the perfect gift for neighbor’s, church actives, or a quick dessert for a last minute get together. There are thousands of different ways to mix them and put your very own spin on these yummy cookies! Enjoy!
Until next project my friends!